Monday, September 23, 2013

DEALING WITH THE UNEXPECTED


Sometimes life hands you this… when all you really want to do is eat dark chocolate and drink deeply delicious red wine.

In a fit of tree trimming by the Mr., what began as a simple “hour or two” long project turned into a weekend + of living a popular logging show on the History channel.  Imagine my surprise when I ran to the kitchen after hearing a most horrible crash and feeling the house reverberate with a large aftershock.  Because I could not get out the back door due to the mountains of “tree” that was now blocking my exit, I quickly ran out the front to face what tragedy certainly awaited me in the back yard.  

Upon seeing a large portion of our silver maple tree no longer standing regally in its place, I quickly scanned the debris pile for what I assumed would be my husband who would obviously need me to rig up some form of chain and lever pulley system to free his trapped body.  No such circumstances existed however and I quickly located his smiling face somewhere within the pile of tree, branches, limbs, and leaves where he smugly reported, “Well, that went better than I expected.”


Note to all husbands EVERYWHERE: if you are going to engage in something so dangerous and stupid, that could possibly result in your death, or perhaps cause serious bodily injury and then we wives find you virtually unscathed, we will first silently say a monster-huge-prayer of thanksgiving but then be incredibly angry with you.  For like FOREVER!!!   Handy tip:  Maybe use that wood to now build the doghouse that you will certainly be admonished to for all of eternity.

Okay, so after surveying the whole situation at hand, I behaved like a responsible wife should.  I dutifully left my husband to deal with the circumstances of his life choices and went inside to do the one thing I do when I am completely stressed beyond all measure; I baked.  Which did not seem to bother my husband at all since he got to enjoy an afternoon of using manly tools in the new logging camp which was until a moment or two ago our lovely shaded back yard.  

On the plus side… looks like next year I will finally be able to start that garden I have always wanted to enjoy. 


CHOCOLATE DECADENCE COOKIES
Think moist fudgy brownie marries a chocolate chip cookie!

Ingredients:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup pecans, broken into pieces
2 Tablespoons butter
2 eggs
2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use Silpat baking mats.  

In a double boiler, melt 1 cup of the semi-sweet chocolate chips with 2 ounces of the unsweetened chocolate.   Add butter and then stir until completely melted and smooth.  Remove from burner but keep warm in the double boiler while you mix the eggs, vanilla, and sugar in medium bowl.   Mix flour and baking powder together in a separate small bowl.  

Temper the egg mixture by slowing streaming the warm chocolate into the egg bowl while constantly whisking.  Go slow and take your time during this process to ensure that the eggs do not cook.  Once chocolate is completely incorporated into egg mixture, add your dry ingredients.  Finally add remaining cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans into batter and stir well.  

Bake for 9-11 minutes and then leave cookie on pan for an additional few minutes to set up before transferring onto a cooling rack.  Recipe yields approximately 16-18 large cookies.    

Note – This recipe makes enough cookies for those who truly need to enjoy their chocolate fix.  It easily doubles though for a large family or a gathering which requires significantly more cookies.  
       

<< THIS MOMENT :: 8/23                                                THIS MOMENT :: 9/27>>

1 comment: